Sunday, April 27, 2008

What ANZAC day means in hindsight..

ANZAC day to me was a funny day, I was so tired from the night before, some randomness of insomnia. I couldn't sleep, something kept me awake. And all pretentiousness aside, I was on some strong insomnia shit. It seems to happen all the time, when Uni assignments are behind and your housemate (singular) has gone insane! Wanting to stay awake, think and see what was up.

And the case came to ANZAC day, I was so curious about this day, why it meant I only had to work 2 days that week. Ignorance may be bliss, but I was not happy with my ignorance. Anyway, checked it out, found a lot of very interesting stuff, and also what tunes were keeping me the f'uck awake! Damn.



This song is a good one, not exactly about the ANZACS, but very much about Australians, in the Vietnam war, a hip-hop remake of the originaly by Redgum. A classic Australian song, the lyrics to this version are nice too.

Seemed every man and his mongrel watched cadets stumble
on the long march to the Viet jungle
"Oh Christ", I mumbled as I drew that card
And my mates came to slap me on the back with due regard
and;

The chinook pilots seemed relieved at Nui Dat when they dropped us
Feels like months running on and off landing pads
letters to Dad 'cause it's like, man, he's sad
But he can't see the tents that we call home
cans of VB and pin-ups of chicks off TV

I really quite identify with that. Except it was cans of XXXX, because I'm a Queenslander. I think one who really catches the Queensland vibe is Lazy Grey.

The starting of the clip shows a stumbling image walking toward a party. Have A Beer by Lazy Grey ft Ken oath was some more great shit I was listening to.

The song chants:

Have a beer!
Have a beer!
....
Well it's the two drunks, we'll drink you under the table
That's why we stumble, our legs are far from stable
and if you're able, to pitch-in
James Boags the big Jim's 5.5 (Percent) on the street with the Pidgeons

.

I can safely say, having seen Lazy Grey at Brisbane's Zulu Supajam he sure could drink, in an almost soldierly way. The New York Magpies, a great Australian Footy Club. Do a great redition of Waltzing Matilda on their ANZAC day party. So despite it being a folk song, it kind of deserves mention also.

Down came a jumbuck to drink at the billabong,
Up got the swagman and grabbed him with glee,
And he sang as he stowed that jumbuck in his tucker bag,
"You'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me".

I also went to a really random club in the Valley, but more on that another time.





Good shit.

No comments: